Both glass and plastic play an important roles in our life.We would be remiss to not acknowledge that both substances have awesome uses crossing many fields from the everyday to the medical. Should we choose glass or plastic?
1. Anything poured from a glass container when compared to its plastic counterpart simply tastes better. Period. (Feel free to conduct your own taste testing on this one.
2. Glass, unlike plastic, does not contain any harmful chemicals such as BPA, phthalates, PVC or polycarbonate. So, nothing can leach into what you’re consuming from a glass bottle.
3. When glass is recycled it gets turned into more glass, meaning it can be recycled over and over and never lose its integrity. Plastic, on the other hand, is downcycled and turned into something such as plastic lumber or carpet padding. It loses integrity with each use, and thus isn’t truly recyclable.
4. The recycling issue aside, you are more likely to reuse your glass containers, bottles and jars over and over and over again, and in creative ways. In addition to not having to worry about the leaching of toxic chemicals from a petroleum-derived product, glass is simply sturdier and stands up to the test of time.
5. Glass is gorgeous. It contains our roots, our history. It’s romantic and nostalgic. It’s not like you’d ever put a message in a plastic bottle and throw it into the sea… right?